Nam Hong Hydropower Investment & Construction Joint Stock Company (Investor of Nam Hong Hydropower Plant) cooperates with Energy and Environment Consultant Joint Stock Company – VNEEC (CDM consultant) and Buyers Reducing emissions Vietnam Carbon Assets ltd. extended credit period for the second time to Nam Hong hydropower project under the mechanism of GS-CDM. The second crediting period is expected to start on July 01st, 2019 and finish on June 30st, 2026.
Details of the project are mentioned in the section below:
The project activity involves the construction of a two sub-hydropower plant i.e. Nam Hong 1 hydropower plant and Nam Hong 2 hydropower plant. Each has installed 8 MW. The project is located at Chieng Cong commune, Muong La district, Son La province, Vietnam..The project activity will generate renewable power with negligible GHG emissions, which will displace part of the electricity otherwise supplied by fossil fuel fired power plants.
Contribution to sustainable development
- The project encourages hydropower utilization to generate electricity, which otherwise would have been generated through alternate fuels (most likely fossil fuels) based power plants, contributing to reduction in specific emissions (emissions of pollutant/unit of energy generated) including GHG emissions.
- Being a renewable energy source, hydro energy used to generate electricity contributes to resource conservation and reduces reliance on exhaustible fossil fuel based power sources as well as the need to import fuels for the purpose of power generation.
- Increase employment opportunities in the area where the Project is located, which will give an increase in local community’s income in general;
- Facilitate the industrialization process through the provision of stable power and enhance the local investment environment and thereby improve the local economy;
- Diversify the sources of electricity generation, important for meeting growing energy demands and the transition away from diesel and coal-supplied electricity generation;
- Contribute to poverty alleviation through income and employment generation: the Project will employ people throughout project operation.
- Contribute towards the tax revenues of the province.
- Proposed project would lead to the development of the region.
- During civil work, the proposed project is expected to generate considerable employment opportunities for the local population.
- Other than these, there are various kinds of mechanical work, which would generate employment on regular and permanent basis.
- Modern and highly efficient turbines and generators will be used under this project, which in turn will accelerate the deployment of renewable energy technologies in Vietnam.
- Nam Hong hydropower project, Vietnam supports technological and know-how transfer from other regions or even other countries through trainings and practical works.
In conclusion, Nam Hong hydropower project, Vietnam will contribute positively towards sustainable development and be consistent with the energy policies set by the Government of Vietnam. Therefore, it satisfies the sustainable development criteria for CDM projects set by the DNA of Vietnam.
Please send your comments to the project:
Project Owner: Nam Hong Hydropower Investment & Construction Joint Stock Company, Vietnam
Add: No.234, Lane 8, Chu Van Trinh street, Son La city.
Phone: + 84 22 3856160
Director: Hoang Van Hoan
CDM – GS Consultancy Company: Energy and Environment Consultancy Joint Stock Company
Add: 8 th Floor, Diamond Flower Tower, No. 48, Le Van Luong street, Ha Noi
Phone: +84 6666 9753
Please give your valuable comments to emails above with a copy marked to the Gold Standard (email@example.com).
1,426 views, 2